Thursday, April 10, 2014

Task 2 continues...

Golly gosh, boy have I been busy working away at this task! So much has happened in the past couple of days that I'm really not sure where to begin to fill you in! Firstly, my Social learner page has been created on my website along with my very own Flickr account and Mother's Group Flickr Group, here is the link. https://www.flickr.com/groups/2654709@N22/ Now initially I had a few hick ups creating this little gem; I had set the group setting as public but invitation only which meant that the link above only provided an email address instead of allowing me to show the actual group. After a bit of a think and read through the Administration page I realised that in order to have a link direct anyone straight to the page, I needed to alter the setting to public so that anyone can become a member. My first thoughts on this scenario was concern for privacy, however after having a thorough review of the material that I was posting, I came to the conclusion that their was no risk to anybodies personal information and privacy. I then came to understand that when it comes time for peer review it was far less complicated to allow anyone to become a member and relieved me from the worry of checking frequently to see if anyone had requested to be a member during the review period next week.

Another problem that arose began as an exciting option that I hoped would enhance my features of my social media event. I discovered that Flickr allows you to geotag photos to show the location of where each photograph was taken. I thought that was a great idea, however for some reason I haven't been successful in tagging any of my photos. I looked under the About section for some answers and followed the instructions provided but I kept getting messages saying that the map was unable to list the location for each photo. The only explanation that I can come up with at this stage is that I had location settings switched off on my phone when taking the photos. I wonder if that then means that the information is not available for the feature to work? I tried to click and drag each photo onto the location on the map manually but this also did not work. Back to the drawing board on this one, I will keep you posted.

The actual process of getting the photos was completed yesterday. There are so many great parks and playgrounds for kids in Jurien that it was tricky to narrow it down to four. In the end however, my decision to narrow the choices to out of four parks was due to the tear-away toddler that had to accompany me on the photo shoot. It started off with the said toddler standing in doggy doo at Venue 1; not a positive start but at least it did remind me to mention to the group that venue 1 is in fact a dog beach. More upsetting was the realisation that I hadn't bought any baby wipes with me to clean up the mess before getting into the brand new, two day old car with beach sand and doggy doo because as I left the house I thought "will only take a minute, no need to grab the baby bag". Hmmm I was wrong on two points there. At the next stop, the proximity of the busy road was too much of a temptation for the toddler and my thoughts were "a great big beautiful park to play in and he is attracted to the road". By Venue 3 my plans of editing the photos on my Flickr app while the toddler played happily were all but shattered when his tiredness become obvious with each trip and stumble. By the time I got to Venue 4 we did not get out to play, it was a quick shot out of the car window and off home to bed. I really was hoping to use the mobile app and photo editing features more than I did but that being said I am generally happy with the overall result.

Yesterday I also received my feedback for Task 1 and have ascertained that I need to concentrate on the use of visuals. With that taken on board, I have included three screen shots of my Flickr group on my social learner page by saving them to a word doc and then converting it to a PDF and then to jpeg to allow webnode to display it on my page. I realise that the visual section is under the blog marking rubric so I need to perhaps come up with some special visuals here that enhance my blog...





No comments:

Post a Comment