This is my view from my desk as I sit here feeling chained to it, desperately attempting to complete this task. To be perfectly honest I am feeling disappointed at the results of my progress with the Digital Guidelines poster due to many setbacks. After spending a long Sunday attempting to design my poster I realised after watching Lecture 3 that I was on the wrong track completely. I began with an idea of setting up a poster with links to different websites covering all aspects of digital citizenship that could be interactive for students with thoughts to have a printable poster that showed a picture of the website and URL address. I have since realised that this is not what is required after spending the day on a site called Mural.ly (found on a separate blog http://seekoutlearning.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/8-free-websites-to-create-cool-student.html#.UyfZ1LS_eA3 that is linked in the Learning Strategies - Technology Toolbox for Teachers; https://sites.google.com/site/technologytoolboxforeducators/learning-to-learn) Mural.ly is a great tool for collaborative work but unfortunately is not ideal for creating a poster for a number of reasons as I discovered while using the tool; it only saves links for 5 days, it allows users to alter the project, it doesn't print and I am unsure whether it can be saved in PDF or JPEG format. It was helpful in that I have used it to brainstorm ideas and helped me to come to make a decision on what area I will focus on for my poster. It also saved pictures of the websites that I have researched that visually helps to remind me of where I can find the information required to complete my poster.
I have decided to focus on the area of netiquette and have started a new poster using infogr.am. So far I have found infogr.am a little fiddly to use and haven't been completely satisfied with the templates that are available for the posters. I have decided instead to have a go with Piktochart over the next few days to see if I find it caters to my needs.
I have wanted to focus my poster on the parents of children in years 3 to 5. I recently went through Internet Policy and consent forms with two of my children for their school and thought that it would be helpful for the school to provide some useful information to parents on how they could help their children understand correct and appropriate netiquette use. I was worried that the task posters were only for students but after viewing this weeks you tube instructions for the digital poster there is no specific mention that it must be aimed at students. I have also looked at the marking rubric and found that there is no mention that the poster needs to be for students only.
This part of task one has been such a tedious challenge this week, with investigating the available tools very time consuming. Attempting to do this while caring for my three sick children while fighting off the dreaded flu myself has seen me rethinking my study load for the semester. Throw in a trip to the nearest hospital, 2 hours drive away, for my daughter and I am a little concerned that my deadline for the assignment due date may not be attainable. Strict time management is on the cards for the next week. With a bit of luck my next post will see the poster attached as a printable PDF, a deadline met and a household full of well people. Fingers crossed...

No comments:
Post a Comment