Thursday, September 10, 2015
Food Matters and Understanding Teachers Work
And so another semester begins...
Week two of the semester and I am well and truly into the thick of it. From interpersonal communication skills to GM food technologies, I have had a lot to investigate. I am excited at my first professional placement coming up in the next couple of weeks and absolutely rapt with my choice of breadth unit with so many avenues open to explore in relation to food. I have chosen to focus my research on the area of Genetically Modified foods with the hope of getting insight into the impact of GM food and the rise of food allergies; a subject that is close to home.
With self reflection a big part of my growth as a student teacher, I am planning on using my blog as a tool during this semester while completing BED 150 which will come in handy over the coming weeks while in the classroom setting. So far I have been required to reflect on: why do I want to be a teacher and what is my relationship with food? Like most things in life, both are complicated topics requiring some critical analysis.
On another note, the situation involving Adam Goodes in the media at the moment, carries on the theme of last semesters studies of Aboriginal perspectives. If anything, it has shown me just how far Australia has to go in educating our society on what is considered racism. Looking at comments in social media has shown the true extent of the lack of awareness of what is considered racist behaviour. A friend shared an interesting story that I wish a lot more people would view and perhaps offer a more balanced, holistic understanding of the events that have lead to this point. Click below to view.
Adam Goodes the full story
Q & A last night on the ABC had Neil de Grasse Tyson share his perspective on the topic which was interesting to hear also, click on the link below to view
Science and the future and the take on Adam Goodes
So happy to be studying a breadth unit this semester with some science perspectives, should be an engaging and productive few months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment